Carrot Cake Squares with Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
Serves: 12 Prep: 20 minutes | Cook:
60ml milk of choice
130g crushed fresh juicy pineapple chunks
60ml extra virgin olive oil
150g grated carrot
1 tbs apple cider vinegar/lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
130g ground almonds
130g Bio&Me Fruit & Nut Muesli
60g wholewheat flour/spelt/GF flour blend
30g desiccated coconut
40g crushed walnuts
4 medjool dates chopped
1tbs baking powder
½ tsp bicarb
½ tsp sea salt
1 heaped tsp ground ginger
1 heaped tsp mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
4 medjool dates
1 tsp vanilla extract
Juice 1 lemon
4tbs coconut oil
Pinch sea salt
Extra 20g walnuts to serveShow All Show Less
- Turn the oven on to 180°C Fan.
- Grease and line an 8’x12’ baking dish.
- Place the cashews and dates in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water, set aside for a minimum of 20 minutes.
- Place all the wet ingredients into a medium bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Place all the dry into a large bowl and mix well, you may need to use your fingers to breakdown and rub in the sticky dates, so they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the wet into the dry and mix well to combine. It will be a thick batter but should not be dry or crumbly. If it’s a little dry add a tbs or two of pineapple, milk or water.
- Empty into the prepared dish and smooth over. Place into the preheated oven for approx. 25-30mins. Check to be sure a skewer comes out clean, or with a few crumbs.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the baking dish.
- While the cake is baking or cooling, drain the cashew and dates and add to a high-speed blender, food processor or you can use a stick blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the extra walnuts. Blend until silky smooth, you made need to scrape down the sides as you go. If the frosting is a little thick, you can add a splash of milk or water to let down a little.
- Place the frosting in a small bowl and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- When you are ready to server evenly spread the frosting over the cake and cut into 12 squares. Finish with a remaining flurry of crushed walnuts.